British Columbia Casinos Online
If you are living in Vancouver or any other part of the British Columbia province, you might be wondering where you can play your favorite casino games as, let’s be honest, things are sometimes complicated when it comes to gambling in online casinos in Canada. Every province has its own rules and laws and it’s easy to get confused about what you can and what you can not do. So the first thing to know here is that betting is 100% legal in British Columbia — there are 17 brick-and-mortar casinos that offer all kinds of games and a locally-licensed online casino for those who prefer playing online to visiting land-based venues.
But if the official BC online casino is not enough for you, there are also other options to choose from as most of the international online casinos are also available for players from British Columbia. Below, you’ll find the full list of such gambling websites as well as some useful information about British Columbia gambling laws, fun facts about local gambling, and a selection of our favorite BC land-based casinos in case you decide to put aside online bets and go find your luck offline.
Best Online Casino accepting players from British Columbia
Online Gambling in British Columbia: Facts, Laws, and Help
Here is what we know about gambling in British Columbia — how it works, what is allowed and what is not, and what you can do here if you or someone you know have a gambling addiction. Keep reading if you want to learn more about BC gambling or scroll up to pick the best gambling website for you.
Interesting Facts About Online Gambling in BC
Every part of Canada has its own gambling history as well as its own attitude towards betting games. So here are some interesting facts about online gambling in British Columbia to broaden your horizons.
- The British Columbia Lottery Commission, the body responsible for online gambling in the province, was the first government institution in Canada to start regulating online gambling.
- In 2018/2019, commercial gambling in the province, including gambling in PlayNow, the only licensed BC casino online, generated revenue of $2.6 billion.
- $1.4 of this revenue was returned to the government to support local communities and problem gambling treatment programs.
Laws Regulating Online Casinos in British Columbia
And now let’s talk in more detail about how playing in BC casinos, both online and offline, is regulated. As you already know, all kinds of gambling are legal and regulated in British Columbia. The main legal body to regulate gambling activities is the Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch (GPEB) that also regulates the operation of the main managing body — the British Columbia Lottery Corporation which is responsible for lotteries, bingo halls, and casinos. Whatever gambling-related happens in the province, it should meet the main gambling law of British Columbia — The Gaming Control Act that was approved in 2002. As the local government makes sure that “British Columbia’s social and economic priorities for gaming are achieved”, a huge part of gambling revenue goes back to the local communities. Besides, gambling is often used as fundraising means for charities, though a special license is still required.
As for online gambling, there is one and only casino licensed in BC and owned by local authorities — PlayNow. Nevertheless, GPEB is much friendlier to international online casinos than some other provinces’ authorities so foreign websites are not blocked and can be easily accessed by local players.
Getting Help for Problem Gambling in BC
When it comes to problem offline and online gambling in BC, things are rather controversial. On the one hand, it seems like BC authorities are doing everything to help those with gaming addiction fight it or at least get some advice. There is the British Columbia Responsible and Problem gambling program where one can get help if gambling isn’t fun anymore, as they say. There is a multi-language website so it’s accessible by all parts of the BC community, a free helpline, and a lot of useful information on how to get counseling and break off the harmful habit.
On the other hand, it seems like not everyone is completely satisfied with what is happening in the field of problem gambling prevention and treatment. Gaming addicts themselves are accusing the BC government of valuing profits more than people and not implementing the program that will help set time and spending limits in local casinos for those who can’t help betting. But whatever side you are on, it’s important to know that gambling addiction is not a capital sentence and there is always a way out. So if you are feeling like you or someone you know is not in control anymore, just call the above-mentioned helpline and get help.
Discover the Best Online Casinos in BC
Now when you know everything about British Columbia gambling in theory, it’s time to get to practice and find yourself a good online casino to finally make real money bets and get winnings. And here is how.
How to Pick Best Online Casinos in British Columbia
Even though picking an online casino doesn’t seem like a complicated task, it’s not that easy too. As the gambling market is constantly developing, more and more casinos appear almost every week, and let’s be honest, not all of them are great and some of them are even dangerous to play in. To get the best gaming experience possible and not get frauded, you need to pay attention to several factors.
- License. This is the most important thing in every online casino as the license issued by a reputable institution proves that the casino is safe and all the games there are fair. Always check the licensing information on the casino’s website and if you can’t find it — better skip it and opt for another one.
- The choice of games. Playing all the same 15 games week by week is boring so we recommend choosing the casinos where there are a lot of gaming options for every taste. A good casino will have at least several dozens (and better several hundred) of slots, some table games, and, in the best-case scenario, some live-dealer options too.
- Banking options available. To play real money slots and other gambling games, you need to make a deposit. And to make a deposit, you need a convenient way to transfer your money from your account to the casino. The more payment options the casino has — the more chances you’ll find something that suits you and is available in BC.
Another option is just to pick one of the BC casinos online from the SlotsUp list as all these and other points have already been considered by our team and the casinos have been proved to be of the highest quality and safety.
PlayNow vs. International Online Casinos in BC: What’s the Difference
PlayNow is the only legally licensed online casino in BC and it’s obvious that a lot of players are considering it as their priority gambling option. We must say that the casino is not bad at all and is even better than some other government-owned casinos of other provinces, at least to some extent. PlayNow is constantly developing and raising its deposit limits to win more players from international casinos and it looks like it works — the casino was even asked to share its (presumably large) profits with other local casinos that were closed due to COVID-19 pandemic.
But unfortunately, it’s still not the best casino to play. The choice of games is rather poor here (no more than a hundred), there are almost no bonuses or special offers, and live-dealer games are also not something you can find in the PlayNow casino. To sum up we can say that it can be a decent option to start your way in online gambling and try one or two games but there is a high chance you’ll want to switch to something more advanced rather soon.
Top 3 Land-Based Casinos in British Columbia
If you’ve had enough of online games and now want to try some land-based BC casino, there is something to choose from as the province can boast 17 gambling venues. Below, you’ll find our top-3 list of the best local casinos for you to start with.
River Rock Casino Resort
River Rock is the largest casino resort in British Columbia, though definitely not the largest one in Canada. On the 6,500 m2 of the gaming floor, there are more than a thousand slot machines and a variety of game tables. The casino welcomes around 10000 visitors every day and the River Rock hotel has almost 340 rooms to host them.
Hard Rock Casino Vancouver
Every gambling fan has heard about the Hard Rock chain of casinos, hotels, and restaurants and those living in or visiting Vancouver can become a part of this legendary thing too. Hard Rock Casino Vancouver is the largest casino in BC in terms of gaming space which amounts to 7,400 m2. There are 1000 slot machines, a 5-table poker room, 70 game tables for baccarat, blackjack, craps, and other games, a special VIP room for high-rollers.
Cascades Casino & Resort
The Cascades Casino and Resort has fewer gaming options than the previous ones — 888 slot machines and 31 game tables — though it’s still worth visiting. Located in Langley, the casino offers a full-service entertainment place with a hotel, spa, dining places, and bars.
British Columbia Casino FAQ
- 📌 Are Online Casinos in BC Safe to Play?
- Online casinos in BC are totally safe to play as long as you pick them out of the SlotsUp list or carefully check their license and other quality standards by yourself.
- 📌 Who Regulates Online Gambling in British Columbia?
- All the BC gambling activities are regulated by the Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch and managed by British Columbia Lottery Corporation.
- 📌 What is the Gambling Age in British Columbia?
- Unlike most other provinces where the legal gambling age is 18, British Columbia only allows betting and even entering the casino premises to those over 19.
- 📌 Do I Need to Pay Taxes on Winnings?
- No. According to Canadian laws, gambling winnings are not supposed to be taxed unless making bets in the casinos is not your main source of income. You’ll also be required to pay taxes if you are getting interests on your winnings.
- 📌 What are the Recommended Payment Methods?
- Most of the casinos from the SlotsUp list offer a variety of payment methods including credit and debit cards, various e-wallets, INTERAC casino deposits, and Bitcoins. Just choose the one you like the most and use it for your real money deposits and withdrawals of winnings.