Online Casinos in Georgia
In 2022, Georgia still remains to be one of the few U.S. states that prohibit gambling altogether with very few exceptions. If you look at the state laws, you will discover that there’s no way to gamble legally – either offline or online – except to indulge in social (charitable) gambling or the state-run lottery. But don’t worry, you still can play at your favorite online casino in Georgia by taking advantage of the loopholes in the local legislation.
Indeed, even despite the unfavorable gambling climate, there are certain ways out for both online punters and those seeking live gambling experience. While the former can take advantage of the fact that there’s no direct prohibition on using offshore online casinos and sportsbooks, the latter can navigate to the closest out-of-state casinos – Wind Creek Wetumpka, Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort – or climb aboard Emerald Princess Casino, a cruise ship delivering local gamblers to international waters where Georgia laws have no effect.
Where there’s a will, there’s always a way! Below is the list of the best international online casinos that accept players from Georgia, as well as more details on what’s going on in the gambling field of the state. Read on.
Top Online Casinos in Georgia for 2022
Online Gambling in Georgia: Facts, Laws, and Help
The 24th largest and the 8th most populous U.S. state, Georgia has a steadily growing income per capita along with a growing demand for quality gambling services. However, this demand remains unsatisfied, especially when it comes to land-based gambling.
Georgia is one of the states that prohibit offline gambling altogether, including casino games, sports betting, horse and dog races, elections wagering, commercial gambling, chain letters, and so on. You can only indulge in the state-run lottery and some forms of charitable gambling, but that’s not what most gamblers could be satisfied with.
As for online gambling, fortunately, it is not explicitly addressed by the Georgia Code, which is why players cannot be charged, banned, or arrested for accessing offshore online casinos. Read on for more details.
Laws Affecting Online Gambling in Georgia
Online gambling in Georgia is undoubtedly murky waters, but the reason for the status of ‘gray area’ is simple to understand if you take a glance at the federal and state gambling laws. On the one hand, U.S. federal laws empower the states to establish independent gambling frameworks. On the other hand, if you look at Article 2 of Chapter 12 of Georgia Code – the document defining the legal boundaries for gambling in Georgia – you will see no reference to online gambling.
Addressing the question ‘is online gambling legal in Georgia,’ it’s only logical to assume that what is not forbidden is legal, or at least that you cannot be punished for playing at offshore online casinos (note that running online casinos is a different matter, and it is forbidden).
So, while waiting for casinos to be legalized in Georgia and the Georgia online gambling laws to be clearly established (the AJC poll showed the readiness among Georgia voters to legalize casino gambling and sports betting), you can freely play at international online casinos accepting players from Georgia.
Sports Betting in Georgia
Georgia takes no prisoners when it comes to land-based gambling. You will not find a single legal form of betting, either online or offline, in the state. Even dog and horse races are banned, the opportunities which are usually available in the most prohibitive states.
The only chance to indulge in sports betting and offline gambling as such is to hop aboard Emerald Princess Casino, a casino cruise that docks Brunswick five days a week and then rushes out of the state and right to international waters beyond the reach of the local laws.
Other than that, there are neither land-based sports bookies nor any real betting options available in Georgia. As a result, local gamblers are forced to leave the state and navigate to the nearby casinos – for example, Wind Creek Wetumpka in Alabama, or Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort in North Carolina – or use international online bookies.
Interesting Facts about Online Gambling in Georgia
The history of online gambling in Georgia is yet to be written since no forms of online gambling have ever been legalized within the state. In 2011, Governor Nathan Deal took an anti-gambling course by declaring that he would never support casino gambling in Georgia. However, Georgia does provide the state lottery, the only gambling form that it can control effectively. If the same level of control was possible with respect to gambling, chances are it would be legalized in the blink of an eye.
Meanwhile, the local government is fighting illegal slot machines and trying to research the possibilities of establishing a steady stream of revenue from gambling and online gambling in particular. And once they find the way to harness it, make no mistake, the Georgia online gambling framework will be finally established.
Getting Help for Problem Gambling in Georgia
Even though all forms of gambling – except for charitable gambling and the lottery, that is – are forbidden within the territory of Georgia, the state does provide resources to help problem gamblers and their families.
- Georgia Council on Problem Gambling, 404.985.6785.
- The Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities, including the 24/7 Georgia Crisis & Access Line (GCAL) at 1-800-715-4225.
- The fact sheet on problem gambling in Georgia.
Also, there are national organizations (ones covering the whole USA gambling market) that you can reach from Georgia:
- National Problem Gambling Helpline, 1-800-522-4700, chat: ncpgambling.org/chat
- Gamblers Anonymous, an experience-sharing fellowship of men and women fighting gambling addiction and gambling-related problems.
- Gam-Anon, a self-help organization for compulsive gamblers.
- GamTalk, an online peer support forum.
Land-Based Gambling Regulations in Georgia
Unlike unregulated online gambling in Georgia, offline gambling is under a strict ban, which leaves locals with two possible scenarios:
- reach the nearby casinos in the other states;
- hop on the cruise ship and head for the international waters.
Whichever one is yours, we hope our reviews on Wind Creek Wetumpka, Emerald Princess Casino, and Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort will shed some light on your gambling options.
Wind Creek Wetumpka
Not the greatest casino in the United States yet the one worth being recommended to anyone craving diverse slot machines, Wind Creek Wetumpka is an Alabama-based Vegas-style entertainment complex that unites more than 2,500 slots. The gambling floor comprises the main gaming floor, the high-limits gaming area, and the smoke-free gaming area. You can walk through the premises by virtue of the online 360-degree tour.
Just like any other reputable entertainment facility, Wind Creek Wetumpka is abundant with amenities. You can visit the Oasis Pool & Bar, take a dip in the pool, enjoying the mouth-watering refreshments from the bar, or contemplate panoramic sights while sitting atop of the Coosa River. Fitness centers and spas will help you keep fit whereas a grill, a buffet, and a steakhouse will satisfy your hunger after a strenuous gambling session.
All in all, Wind Creek Wetumpka is worth a journey if you are in love with slots. And if you crave table games, Emerald Princess Casino might be the choice.
Emerald Princess Casino
From bow to stern, Emerald Princess Casino is the gambling-friendly ship that you can jump on in Brunswick five days a week and be safely delivered to international waters where Georgia laws have no effect. There you can gamble all night long!
The two gaming decks include 250 slot machines, 12 Blackjack tables, four Texas Hold’em tables, two Roulette wheels, one Emerald Princess Stud Poker table, one Triple Time Poker table, and a Craps table. In addition, there’s the Bistro Deck with inspiring ocean views and, of course, International SportsBook accepting bets on soccer, golf, NCAA football, NBA, golf, NFL, and more.
What else to say? You don’t have to be a seasoned sailor to feel comfortable on this state-of-the-art gambling ship since it contains all the amenities that you would expect to see at a high-profile land-based casino. And all these perks for a nominal price of $10 for regularly scheduled cruises. Quite a bargain, huh?
Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort
Resting on the site of the former Frontierland theme park, Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort is an obvious choice for the residents of North Carolina and a promising one for Georgia-based punters ready for a gambling getaway.
In addition to 1,108 rooms of all classes, including 107 suites, the Harrah’s Cherokee complex encompasses a 15,000 square-foot conference center, a 3,000-set event center, a lounge, a café, four restaurants, a steakhouse, a Tuscan grille, and of course a gambling field itself with more than 3,100 games in different denominators.
Whether you are willing to play slots, Video Poker, Blackjack, Craps, Roulette, or Let It Ride – or maybe you are seeking a specific Asian atmosphere – Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort has it all! And even sports betting will soon become available as the respective legislation is being developed in North Carolina.
Top 3 Online Casinos for Georgia Players
Left with no choice but to select between international online casinos, gamblers from Georgia have long decided what they want from the venue of their dreams: safety, easiness-quickness of payments, low fees, and plenty of banking alternatives, all mentioned topped by an exhaustive range of games. Fortunately, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of casinos that can guarantee impeccable online gambling in Georgia to the locals.
- CafeCasino. A whopping 600% welcome bonus on deposits in BTC, a weekly Mystery bonus, and referral bonuses are just a few out of a whopping arsenal of hooks at CafeCasino, not to mention the unrivaled range of games – slots, blackjack, table games, specialty games, jackpots, live leader games – and regular tournaments. On top of that, you can get a $10 free no-deposit bonus for the very fact of signing up with the casino. Think about it!
- Vegas Crest. Betsoft, Gameart, Rival, Saycify…do these ring any bells? Well, even if you are not familiar with the mentioned software providers, you are highly recommended to take a glance at what’s going on at Vegas Crest, a casino rich with games and perks. To start on the right foot with the venue, we would recommend you to use the pack of 10 no-deposit free spins along with a welcome package of 100 free spins + 200% match bonus up to $2500. Mind you, these promos are only a drop in the ocean of the perks served by Vegas Crest!
- Mars Casino. Life on Mars does exist, and living proof of that is Mars Casino, a place that unites all the best software developers under its roof and impresses its customers with everlasting bonuses. As for the game range, in addition to the pretty standard line of games, there are special BTC games and ‘other games,’ the category that includes exotic titles like Scratch Dice and Bet on Numbers. Last but not least, there are bonuses on the first three deposits, reload bonuses, free spins, and loyalty points – in other words, the casino provides all the bells and whistles you need to excel in online gambling.
Georgia Casino FAQ
- 📌 Are Online Casinos in Georgia Safe to Play?
- The online gambling field in Georgia is not regulated, though offline gambling is forbidden except for the state-run lottery and charitable gambling.
You are free to play at any online casino you want since there are no rules that prevent players from accessing offshore casinos. Safety-wise, it’s only smart to choose a highly reputable online casino, for example, one of the casinos represented on this webpage.
- 📌 Who Regulates Online Gambling in Georgia?
- There are no direct references to online gambling in Article 2 of Chapter 12 of the Georgia Code, which is why it’s only natural to assume that online gambling in the state is not regulated.
Answering the popular question ‘can you gamble online in Georgia,’ we can say that you are free to gamble online from Georgia since this is not explicitly forbidden by the law. Online gambling is not forbidden from the player’s perspective.
- 📌 What is the Gambling Age in Georgia?
- 18 is the minimum age to play the lottery. 21 is the minimum age to be admitted to the Emerald Princess Casino.
- 📌 Do I Need to Pay Taxes on Winnings?
- All lottery winnings exceeding $5,000 are charged with the state income tax of 6% and the federal income tax of 24%. All winners of prizes exceeding $600 are reported to the IRS and Georgia Department of Revenue.
- 📌 What are the Recommended Payment Methods?
- There are no specific payment methods that could be recommended to players from Georgia other than that used in other U.S. states. The most popular payment methods in Georgia are Visa/MasterCard debit and credit cards, e-wallets (Neteller, Skrill), Interact, and cryptocurrencies (BTC).