Online Casinos in Illinois
One of the few U.S. states that legalized all types of land-based gambling, Illinois is a real gambling paradise, though not for online players. Even despite the recent update to the Illinois Gambling Act, a few major forms of online gambling – poker, table games, and slots – are still unregulated. In other words, comfortable gambling boils down to where you play (online or offline) and what you play, that is, whether the game is approved by the Gambling Act or not.
The good news is, though, that there’s a universal recipe for those willing to access the whole range of games and avoid risks: international online casinos. Dozens – if not hundreds – of reputable offshore online casinos accept punters from Illinois, and it’s absolutely safe to sign up with a venue that you would love to spend your time and money with.
And if you struggle to pick your online casino in Illinois, we would recommend our list of high-profile venues, all time-tested and verified by our team. And yeah, no string attached: you are free to spend as much time in the demo regime as you need to evaluate the casino and the game itself. Read on for further insights on the gambling laws of the state.
Top Online Casinos in Illinois for 2022
Online Gambling in Illinois: Facts, Laws, and Help
The 6th most populous U.S. state with an annual income per capita of $35,463 (as of 2018), Illinois has all the bells and whistles to please demanding punters. However, it’s not that rosy when it comes to online gambling: though the 2019 Illinois Gambling Act legalized online sports betting, many online games are still unregulated within the state borders.
Fortunately, there’s a way to indulge in every single game you like: offshore online casinos. Would that be against the law? No, it wouldn’t; however, it’s highly recommended to be aware of the latest legislation changes. Let’s jump into it!
Laws Affecting Online Gambling in Illinois
As you know, the U.S. federal law empowers the states to regulate the field of gambling independently on the in-state and inter-state levels. To the admiration of local gamblers, Illinois is one of the states that do take advantage of the privilege.
The main regulatory body in the state is the Illinois Gambling Board, which oversees casino gambling, sports betting, racetracks, and sports venues. The main document is the Illinois Gambling Act updated in 2019 to allow sports betting at sports venues, racetracks, and casinos.
In addition to sports betting, the legal forms of online gambling are horse racing, daily fantasy sports, social gambling (sweepstakes, raffles, pull tabs, jar games), and the national lottery represented by daily games, jackpot games, and instant tickets. Online poker, table games, and slots are not regulated. Therefore, answering the question ‘is online gambling legal in Illinois,’ we can only assume that you can freely access international online casinos since there are no Illinois online gambling laws that would explicitly prohibit any forms of online gambling.
Sports Betting in Illinois
The recent breakthrough in sports betting was caused by the 2019 Illinois Gambling Act allowing certain sports venues (that is, the ones with the capacity of at least 17,000) to apply for sports betting licenses to provide online and live sports betting within a radius of five blocks. At least five largest sports bookies in Illinois are entitled to apply for a license, and more are expected to clear the 17,000 entry barrier in the future.
The Gambling Act also enabled sports betting kiosks and lottery vendors, both allowed to provide parlay wagers and parlay wagers with fixed odds. More than 5,000 kiosks are expected to pop up in the state in 2021.
All in all, the legalization of sports wagering is a huge milestone promising to disrupt the gambling landscape of the state. More than 20 new sportsbooks and six casinos are likely to bring thousands of new gaming devices to Illinois and boost the state revenue by $350 million, making it a new gambling mecca.
Interesting Facts about Online Gambling in Illinois
The history of gambling in Illinois goes back to the beginning of the XIX century, when unlicensed riverboat casinos – the predecessors of contemporary cruise ships – attracted wealthy clientele to spend their money on illegal games of chance. Underhanded gambling had been the only way to try one’s luck in games of chance until the legalization of horse race betting in the 1920s, which paved the way to other gambling games and still remains a popular pastime among Illinois bettors (there are three operating racetracks in the state).
During the past three decades years, the gambling field of Illinois witnessed a few breakthroughs:
- The 1900 Riverboat Gambling Act – legalized riverboat casinos (first as floating casinos, later (1999) as permanently docked ones).
- The Video Gaming Act – expanded gambling to video gaming terminals, enabling slots, video poker, and other similar games within the border of the state.
- The 2019 Illinois Gambling Act – legalized sports betting in addition to other Illinois online gambling forms – horse racing, daily fantasy sports, social gambling (sweepstakes, raffles, pull tabs, jar games), and the national lottery (daily games, jackpot games, and instant tickets).
Getting Help for Problem Gambling in Illinois
The Illinois Council on Problem Gambling (ICPG) is a statewide organization that provides an all-encompassing set of tools to help the problem gamblers and their families to overcome gambling addiction along with its repercussions. You can get help on the website, or you can call 1 800-522-4700 for help.
In addition, there are a number of nationwide resources on problem gambling:
- National Problem Gambling Helpline, 1-800-522-4700, chat: ncpgambling.org/chat.
- Gamblers Anonymous, an experience-sharing fellowship fighting gambling addiction and gambling-related problems.
- Gam-Anon, a self-help organization for compulsive gamblers.
- GamTalk, an online support forum.
- The fact sheet on problem gambling in Illinois.
The best advice is, though, staying conscious when you play on US gambling sites and being aware of the possible unfavorable consequences of excessive gambling.
Land-Based Gambling Regulations in Illinois
While authorized online gambling in Illinois is only in its infancy – too many mainstream games are still unregulated, that is – its elder brick-and-mortar brother is alive and kicking. There are more than enough land-based casinos within the state to satisfy your hunger for excitement and thrill. That said, it is never simple to choose the best one, especially given the fact that you cannot explore all the options yourself unless you are an avid traveler and casino lover (and have an unlimited budget).
Without further ado, let’s take a look at (1) Jumer’s Casino Rock Island, (2) Par-A-Dice Hotel Casino, and (3) Harrah’s Joliet Casino, all three top-notch gambling destinations worth visiting.
Jumer’s Casino & Hotel
One of the best Last-Vegas style entertainment venues in the state, Jumer’s Casino & Hotel is located in Rock Island on a vast gambling space of 42,000 square feet, combining pure gambling with entertainment at live shows and relaxation in posh suits.
- Slots. More than 1,000 slot machines of various layouts, plots, and features will not only thrill you but also give you a fairly high chance to win big (the RPTs of 98% is no joke). The range of slots includes such renowned titles as Hot Shots, Wheel of Fortune, Lightning Links, and Tarzan. Progressive slots – over 20 titles – are also here. The wide betting range, from once cent up to $25, is equally good for penny players and high-rollers.
- Table games. You can’t get bored when dealing with friendly croupiers at blackjack, roulette, poker, or craps tables – or various derivatives of those games. And if you seek the maximum excitement, you might have your fun in daily poker tournaments with a low $50 entry barrier. Sign up and show your superiority to other players.
Aside from gambling, Jumer’s Casino & Hotel is a place to relax and have fun: dozens of rooms and suites, special hotel packages & deals, Aqua Gold Range, Edjie Nightclub, cafes, sports bars, and many other facilities are here to spoil you…but isn’t that what you’ve expected from your long-awaited getaway?!
Par-A-Dice Hotel Casino
Be you a serious player or the one willing to combine gambling with relaxation, Par-A-Dice Hotel Casino is the place you won’t forget. The luxurious gambling complex is located in East Peoria and encompasses 930 slots and 30 table games, as well as dozens of accompanying amenities.
The collection of table games is just beyond any comparison: blackjack, 21+3, roulette, craps, poker variations, baccarat, and let it ride available in different ranges of bets are equally popular among deep and shallow pockets. And yeah, you can take advantage of the so-called ‘B connected’ membership card offering multi-tiered benefits, rewards, and recognition.
Last but not least, you don’t have to make a blind choice – go and see with your own eyes what you are going to deal with: the photo gallery.
Harrah’s Joliet Casino
This classy riverboat casino of two now permanently docked barges occupies 40,000 square feet of gambling space and has 204 hotel rooms, 1,138 slot machines, and four restaurants. The ever-updated range of games along with cozy rooms & suites, as well as spectacular live shows and tasty foods, leave you no choice but to pay a visit to this high-profile gambling hub.
- Slots. Whether you are hunting for the jackpot and hefty rewards or prefer penny gains for the sake of long hours of gambling, the shockingly diverse range of slots at Harrah’s Joliet Casino lets you find your game in no time. Among the recent additions to the slot line are Shark Week, Diamond Blaze, Smoking Hot Stuff, and Wicked Wheel, as well as about two dozen other machines. Video poker included: Hot Roll Poker, Ultimate X Bonus Streak, Super Draw 6 Card Poker, and other famous titles are represented in over 200 video poker machines.
- Table games. As many as 31 tables of blackjack, craps, roulette, three card poker, high card flush, 21 + 3 extreme, mini-baccarat, ultimate Texas hold’em, and Mississippi stud poker are waiting for you at Harrah’s Joliet Casino.
There are a lot of things to do and take advantage of at Harrah’s Joliet Casino, from contemplating local attractions to arranging your wedding, and hence we have no doubt that you will find here the piece of fun you’ve been longing to discover.
Top 3 Online Casinos for Illinois Players
As being said, there are only so many legal online games in Illinois, which is why locals are usually looking for reputable offshore casinos that they could trust. Luckily, not only these are available in bulk, but also online gambling in Illinois is seen as completely safe since no one has ever been punished for making bets or spinning reels at offshore online casinos.
Below are three top-notch international venues from our list of the best Illinois online casinos. Feel free to sign up with the one you like and explore it further: this is free-of-charge and safe.
- All Star Slots. Justifying its title, the casino offers a whopping range of slots, but not for that is it so popular: the icing on the cake is the unique collection of 15 video poker titles, among the best in the industry. On top of that, the casino runs various promotions & perks with the icing on the cake in the form of a blood-chilling 400% welcome bonus up to $400 + 75 free chips for all BTC deposits.
- Manhattan Slots. You don’t need to travel to Manhattan to indulge in all the posh of the place – just navigate to Manhattan Slots and start playing with a 100% match bonus on your first deposit. From pirate to oriental, the range of more than 130 exquisite titles is at your service. Craving bit limits? Then don’t forget to activate the 25% Cash Back bonus on your net losses.
- Raging Bull. One of the most trusted online gambling platforms with more than 200 games and several comfortable banking options including BTC, Raging Bull is a place to turn bonuses into real money. Perks are abundant here, and especially sweet is a 350% welcome bonus with 50 free spins on Fucanglong, a new oriental slot. The bitcoin-friendly casino awaits its heroes – come and hit the jackpot at your favorite game or expand your horizons by playing something more exotic.
Illinois Casino FAQ
- 📌 Are Online Casinos in Illinois Safe to Play?
- Both legal and international (that is, not authorized to provide gambling services within the territory of the state) online casinos are safe to play from Illinois. However, you are not protected by the state laws at offshore online casinos, which is why we would recommend you to pick between credible venues only.
- 📌 Who Regulates Online Gambling in Illinois?
- The main regulatory body in Illinois is the Illinois Gambling Board, which oversees casino gambling, sports betting, racetracks, and sports venues. The main document is the Illinois Gambling Act, which was updated in 2019 to allow sports betting at sports venues, racetracks, and casinos.
Answering the question ‘can you gamble online in Illinois,’ we can only assume that you can freely access international online casinos to play any game you like since there are no Illinois online gambling laws that would explicitly prohibit any type of online gambling.
- 📌 What is the Gambling Age in Illinois?
- 21 is the minimum gambling age in Illinois.
- 📌 Do I Need to Pay Taxes on Winnings?
- The taxes are withheld automatically. According to the latest changes, the tax rate on gambling games is from 30% to 33%.
- 📌 What are the Recommended Payment Methods?
- There are no specific payment methods that could be recommended to players from Illinois other than that used in other U.S. states. The most popular payment methods in Illinois are Visa/MasterCard debit and credit cards, e-wallets (Neteller, Skrill), Interact, and cryptocurrencies (BTC).