Online Casinos in New York
On paper, New York State is one of the most wanted gambling places in the U.S., but that only applies to brick-and-mortar casinos. As many as 30 classy venues – including the recommended options: Resort World Catskills, Yellow Brick Road Casino, and Resorts World Casino New York City – partially compensate for the lack of online gambling regulations and the scarce choice of legal online gambling options in the Empire State.
The regulated area covers sweepstakes, daily fantasy sports, and horse races…the rest in murky waters. However, that does not mean you are deprived of the opportunity to play your favorite slots and table games. On the contrary, you are free to play at offshore online casinos since – while you are clearly not allowed to run an online casino within the territory of New York State – there’s no explicit ban on gambling online.
Below are the best online gambling options for punters from New York State, so you may find your favorite online casino in New York there.
Top Online Casinos in New York for 2022
Online Gambling in New York: Facts, Laws, and Help
The second wealthiest and the fourth most populous U.S. state, New York is thought to be a gambling paradise…and it does hold true, but only for land-based gambling. There are about three dozen of Native American and commercial casinos offering the whole range of gambling games, including sports betting, the latest addition to the pool of entertainment. As for online gambling, you won’t find anything legal except for sweepstakes, daily fantasy sports, and horse races.
Laws Affecting Online Gambling in New York
The main regulatory body is the New York State Gaming Commission, which ensures the integrity, credibility, and quality of lawful gaming, horse racing, and the New York Lottery via the rules and statutes, which forbid running an online gambling platform within the state. However, there are no New York online gambling laws that would ban players from accessing offshore online casinos, which is why answering the popular question ‘is online gambling legal in New York,’ we can assume that New Yorkers are free to play at international casinos unless otherwise stated in the law.
That said, it’s utterly important to do your own due diligence before playing at an online casino. Or – even better – skip the routine and use our ready-made list of verified New York casinos and bookies. It’s also worth noting that, as time goes by, local authorities come closer and closer to the legalization of online gambling, so it shouldn’t take long before we see slots, table games, and poker live in New York.
Sports Betting in New York
In fact, sports betting was legalized back in 2013, but it was not until 2018 that the Supreme Court lifted the nationwide ban on sports betting – the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) – thereby paving the way to the first sports betting operators in New York State. The first retail sportsbook opened at Rivers Casino & Resorts, and more casinos followed.
However, online sports betting is still not regulated, even though the activity could bring a lot of money to the state. Hopefully, we can expect online sports betting to be legalized in New York State in 2021 since the formative approval was already given by the Gaming Commission and the only thing preventing the legalization is the need to change the state constitution
Meanwhile – that is, until New York regulates online sports betting – the only viable option is international sportsbooks, the best of which are united in our top-list. Note that there’s no risk of being punished for placing bets online since – just like online gambling – online sports betting is not explicitly forbidden in New York State.
Interesting Facts about Online Gambling in New York
Unlike land-based gambling, which has a long history since when the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act was passed in 1988, New York online gambling is only making its first steps. At the time of writing, legal online gambling options include sweepstakes, daily fantasy sports, and horse races – not too much for such a populous state with a high demand for gambling.
- Sweepstakes. On a sweepstakes website, you are using Sweeps coins that you can claim for free. Since sweepstakes are not qualified as gambling – remember, no real money involved – they are legal in most states, including New York State.
- Daily fantasy sports (DFS). The two biggest DFS operators, FanDuel and DraftKings, are operating without any sort of DFS regulation in New York State, but you can still place your wager with these operators.
- Horse betting. In fact, horse betting is the only full-fledged type of betting allowed in the state. There are numerous horse tracks offering pari-mutuel betting, including betting on the Internet.
Getting Help for Problem Gambling in New York
The New York State Office of Addiction Services and Supports provides gambling treatment, problem gambling prevention, and similar services mainly through the New York Council on Problem Gambling (NYCPG), a non-profit affiliate to the National Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG). The fact sheet on problem gambling in New York State is available here.
In addition, there are nationwide resources that you can reach for help:
- National Problem Gambling Helpline, 1-800-522-4700, chat: ncpgambling.org/chat.
- Gamblers Anonymous, an experience-sharing fellowship fighting gambling addiction and gambling-related problems.
- Gam-Anon, a self-help organization for compulsive gamblers.
- GamTalk, an online support forum.
The best help is, though, your consciousness when playing at USA online casinos, and awareness of the possible unfavorable consequences of excessive gambling.
Land-Based Gambling Regulations in New York
Contrary to the underdeveloped field of online gambling in New York, its brick-and-mortar counterpart is alive and kicking. Thirty or so casinos operating in the state provide the full range of games, from slot machines to craps and roulette.
Resort World Catskills
One of the newest brick-and-mortar casinos in New Your State, Resort World Catskills opened on February 2, 2018, to cater to locals in Monticello and beyond. The venue covers 65,000 square feet of gaming space and employs over 2,150 slot machines, 112 table games, popular sports betting options, and an 18-story tower & hotel with 332 suites. The property is owned by Empire Resorts.
- Slots. From classic to cutting-edge slots, the video machine collection of the venue is beyond comparison. The hottest additions include Lightning Link, Wheel of Fortune, Monopoly Millionaire, and a few more in-demand titles. See the demo of these games here.
- Table games. Sic-Bo, Casino War, Big Six, Pai Gow Tiles, and Craps effectively complement the more widespread games of roulette, baccarat, blackjack, and poker. High or low limits, it doesn’t matter.
- Sports betting. The 6,000-square-foot betting floor with a bar in the center and high-res screens around the place is everything you need to make your lucky bet on college and professional sports.
Visit the casino promo page for the best deals & perks.
Yellow Brick Road Casino
The $20-million state-of-the-art gaming venue in the Village of Chittenango, Yellow Brick Road Casino offers 60,000 square feet of pure gambling with over 400 Last Vegas-style slots, 14 table games, and a sportsbook. Whether you are a fan of the iconic Wonderful Wizard of Oz – the basis of the Yellow Brick Road Casino theme – or just love to spin reels and throw dice, you will find the pastime at this high-standard venue pleasant and – may luck be with you – profitable.
- Slots. 88 Fortunes, Double Diamonds, Skyrider, Sahara Gold, and about 400 other slots of all possible denominators are at your service, so chances are your favorite machine is already there.
- Table games. Blackjack, Craps, Roulette, 3 Card Poker, Let It Ride, Spanish 21, Big 6 Wheel, and Mississippi Stud can bring you more if you use the pers of the loyalty card. But even without it, you are guaranteed to have a great time playing your beloved table games.
- Caesars Sports sportsbook. Be you a football, basketball, soccer, or boxing expert, you can turn your knowledge into wads of cash at the Lounge with Caesars Sports. The largest sportsbook in New York State employs more than 30 large screens so that you can effectively react to the changes in the sports events.
Resorts World Casino New York City
The only casino offering more than 6,000 slots and table games to millions of guests, Resorts World Casino New York City is the right place to maximize your experience with brick-and-mortar gambling venues. The casino features three unique gaming levels – Central Park Casino, Fifth Avenue Casino, and Times Square Casino – as well as high-limit rooms and a countless number of other amenities.
Getting to the gaming complex is a no-brainer. Located not far away from JFK Airport, it’s accessible by the Q37 bus or A-Train. And once you’re there, you instantly realize all the chic of the venue. Play, dine, entertain – do whatever you want at unrivaled Resorts World Casino New York City!
- Slots. Whether that is classic slots, newfangled machines, or the high-limit room that you are looking for, you’ll easily find it at the venue. Blazing 7s, Green Fortune, Buffalo, Triple Double Diamond, 5 Treasure, and more fresh titles are pleasing to your eye (always) and pocket (sometimes).
- Table games. More than 1,300 gaming tables of Poker, Blackjack, Baccarat, Craps, Roulette, Big Six Wheel, and a few variations of those await you at Resorts World Casino. Platinum and Black Card members are admitted to Baccarat Club, Crystal Cruises High Limit Room, or Fifth Avenue Club.
Top 3 Online Casinos for New York Players
Luckily, though unregulated, online gambling in New York is safe and secure as long as you stick with a reputable casino – that is, any casino from our top-list of New York State casinos at the top of the page. To give you an idea of a decent venue, we’ve reviewed three online casinos appealing to us – you may pick one of them or scroll up to the beginning of the webpage for more classy options.
- El Royale. You don’t have to be a character from The Great Gatsby novel to plunge into the atmosphere of the Roaring 20s, the era of risk, and impressive gains. But don’t let the free cocktails at the bar not quench your thirst: you’ll need all your passion and dedication to try and convert the ongoing bonuses & promotions into the real money in your pocket. Start with grabbing a 240% welcome match bonus plus 40 free spins on Bubble Bubble 2, and then proceed to explore the rest of the bonuses at El Royale. The casino accepts BTC, so you don’t have to worry about privacy.
- Slotocash. One more casino with comfortable banking alternatives (bitcoin, litecoin, Skrill, Neteller), Slotocash impresses not with its gaming range but rather the blood-chilling welcome package awarding novices with as much as $7,777 in total plus 300 free spins. So if you love freebies as we do, don’t miss out on special offers at Slotocash!
- Free Spin. Slots, table games, video poker, and exquisite specialty games – all seasoned with a generous 250% welcome bonus and a ludicrously lucrative 350% match bonus plus 30 spins on Magic Mushroom – are too tempting to stay aside. Sign up for Free Spin and check yourself if the casino lives up to its title. What else to say about Free Spin? Well, even though it is an old-timer with more than 15 years of history behind, it has all the bells and whistles the most sophisticated risk seeker can dream of.
New York Casino FAQ
- 📌 Are Online Casinos in New York State Safe to Play?
- All casinos listed on our websites are safe. However, since online gambling in New York State is unregulated, you are not protected by law. Therefore, technically, you are playing at your own risk.
- 📌 Who Regulates Online Gambling in New York State?
- The main regulatory body in the New York State Gaming Commission. It ensures the integrity, credibility, and quality of all lawful gaming, horse racing, and the New York Lottery via specific rules and statutes that you can find on the official website of the New York State Gaming Commission.
Answering the popular question ‘can you gamble online in New York,’ we can assume that, as a New Yorker, you are free to play at international casinos since local laws contain no prohibitions as to playing at online casinos.
- 📌 What is the Gambling Age in New York State?
- 18 is the minimum gambling age for racinos, charitable gambling, New York Lottery, pari-mutuel wagering, and commercial casinos. As for tribal casinos, they are entitled to establish the minimum gambling age independently (usually, it’s either 18 or 21).
- 📌 Do I Need to Pay Taxes on Winnings?
- All lottery winnings are subject to an 8.82% tax plus the federal tax of 25%. New York City takes an extra 3.867% tax on top of the mentioned taxes. The full info on taxes in New Your State is here.
- 📌 What are the Recommended Payment Methods?
- It would be wise to choose anonymous/private payment methods that would protect & safeguard you against possible penalties. The recommended payment methods are scratch cards (Paysafecard, Neteller) and cryptocurrencies.