Online Casinos in West Virginia
West Virginia is one of the most gambling-friendly and rapidly developing states. Not only does it allow all imaginable games of chance available in five brick-and-mortar casinos operating within its borders, but it also tries to legalize online gambling by expanding online slots to those five venues.
But not everything is as rosy as it seems at first glance. First of all, the changes are slow – it took more than a year after the legalization of online gambling for the first online casino, DraftKings, to open its doors to customers. Secondly, online gambling at offshore casinos is still illegal which makes perfect sense: the state government aims to extract minimum revenues. The punters, however, are worried about the lack of choice of high-quality online casinos.
The solution in the eyes of the locals is to ignore the ban on offshore casinos. We cannot recommend that, but we can bring a very important fact to your attention: no one from West Virginia has ever been prosecuted or penalized for playing at an offshore casino. Now that you know it, it’s up to you to decide.
We’ve collected the best online casinos catering to players from West Virginia. Any online casino in West Virginia from our list is verified and highly trusted by gambling professionals and amateurs.
Top Online Casinos in West Virginia for 2022
Online Gambling in West Virginia: Facts, Laws, and Help
West Virginia is on its way to becoming an all-encompassing safe harbor for gamblers. The state is slowly creating a more diverse and competitive gambling market, directing its efforts on streamlining online gambling and online sports betting, the two latest additions to the pool of games available in the Mountain State. The fly in the ointment is, though, that some of the authorized types of gambling are not yet available and some are underdeveloped.
Laws Affecting Online Gambling in West Virginia
Online gambling had been unlawful in West Virginia until March 27, 2019, when the Mountain State adopted House Bill 2934 to legalize online games of chance within its five brick-and-mortar casinos. About a year later, on July 15, 2020, DraftKings Casino became the first official online casino in the market of West Virginia.
The legalization of online gambling is gaining momentum, but if history can be used as a guide, a few years will likely pass until the West Virginia Lottery finalizes its laws on online gambling and the market gets saturated with enough alternatives to choose from. Meanwhile, if you want to reach your favorite games online, you can:
- Play at DraftKings, the only authorized online casino (the list of potential casino operators also includes BETMGM Casino, PokerStars Casino, FanDuel Casino, but none of these operators is catering to the residents of West Virginia at the time of writing).
- Play at unlicensed, but safe offshore online casinos. The scope of online games is much broader if you look at international venues accepting West Virginians. Note that no one has ever been penalized for playing online from West Virginia.
So, answering the question, ‘is online gambling legal in West Virginia,’ we can say that it depends on what type of website you are going to use. The websites belonging to the authorized casinos are legal, whereas offshore casinos aren’t. However, even though West Virginia online gambling laws forbid international casinos, no precedents of penalties for playing online have ever been registered in West Virginia.
Sports Betting in West Virginia
West Virginia was fast to react when the Supreme Court struck down a 1992 federal ban (PASPA) on commercial sports betting. In March 2019, West Virginia became the fifth U.S. state to legalize sports betting and one of the first to legalize online sports betting in the authorized brick-and-mortar casinos.
Just like online gambling, online sports betting provides you with two alternatives:
- Place wagers with authorized bookies (William Hill, FanDuel, DraftKings) through mobile apps. Bets are taken on all major leagues – NFL, NHL, NBA, MBL, etc. College sports and events with underage participants are not supported.
- Circumvent the law in favor of a much broader choice of trusted yet unauthorized international bookies (according to the state laws, only companies that own land-based casinos can provide online casino and sports betting services).
Online daily fantasy sports (DFS) are also legal in West Virginia.
Interesting Facts about Online Gambling in West Virginia
Online gambling in West Virginia is inevitably related to the five brick-and-mortar casinos authorized to provide online games of chance to the state residents. As of now, there are no expansion plans, so it’s only logical to assume that in the following years, these properties will remain the only land-based gambling destinations in West Virginia.
At the moment, online sports betting is a niche more developed in the West Virginia online gambling market than slots and other games of chance, which is why it’s quite likely that more online sports betting operators will want to expand their range of service into slots, card games, and poker.
Getting Help for Problem Gambling in West Virginia
The West Virginia Bureau for Behavioral Health & Health Facilities (BBHHF) administers problem gambling services using the funds from the West Virginia Lottery. The funds are directed to First Choice Health Systems to provide problem gambling services, including raising public awareness through billboards, TV, on the web, etc., and operating a problem gambling helpline.
Also, there are a number of nationwide resources you can reach for help:
- National Problem Gambling Helpline, 1-800-522-4700, chat: ncpgambling.org/chat.
- Gamblers Anonymous, an experience-sharing fellowship fighting gambling addiction and gambling-related problems.
- Gam-Anon, a self-help organization for compulsive gamblers.
- GamTalk, an online support forum.
The best help is, though, your consciousness in the USA gambling market and awareness of the possible unfavorable consequences of excessive gambling.
Land-Based Gambling Regulations in West Virginia
While online gambling in West Virginia is trying to catch up with its traditional counterpart, the latter is increasing its pool of games. Indeed, all five casinos in West Virginia offer an impressive range of games, from classic slots to sports betting, horse racing, and craps.
Here’s the full list of brick-and-mortar casinos in West Virginia:
- Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races.
- Mardi Gras Casino & Resort.
- Wheeling Island Hotel.
- Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort.
- Casino Club at the Greenbrier Hotel.
Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races
Located in scenic Charles Town, West Virginia, Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races offers more than two thousand hottest slots and traditional card games, as well as poker, sports betting, and live/simulcast racing.
- Slots. Single-line or multi-line, simple or advanced, low or high-limit – you will easily find your favorite slot among 2,500 machines of different themes and denominators. High limits unlock huge jackpots.
- Card games. The casino offers blackjack, three-card poker, four-card poker, mini-baccarat, let it ride, Spanish 21, heads up hold’em poker, Texas hold’em, and high-card flush, as well as dice & wheel games – craps and roulette. The betting limits start low, so the budget doesn’t matter.
- Sports betting. The range of sports includes baseball, golf, tennis, hockey, soccer, football, basketball, auto racing, rugby, boxing, MMA, cycling, and cricket.
- Horse racing. Home to the West Virginia Breeders Classics, Race for the Ribbon, and Charles Town Classic, the racetrack offers the full-field cards for horse racing, as well as simulcast horse and dog racing.
Promos and Special Offers
There are a few ongoing promotions at the time of writing – Regular weekly draws among bettors, the Mycash Multiplier program for mychoice card users, and the promo that grants free $20 on slots to all users signed up for a mychoice card.
Mardi Gras Casino & Resort
Acquired by Delaware North in February 2018, Mardi Gras Casino & Resort is a premier gambling destination in West Virginia. The complex encompasses 150 hotel rooms, more than 900 slot machines, 20 table games, sportsbooks, as well as numerous amenities – a few restaurants, a live music lounge, a gift shop, an indoor pool, and fitness facilities.
- Slots. Whether you are a fan of penny, nickel, or twenty-five-dollar bets, you will be able to take advantage of all these options at nearly 1,000 slots, including one-reel and advanced titles. Progressive jackpot games are available as well.
- Table games. Poker, craps, blackjack, roulette, and more table games welcome anyone who’s 21 or older. The best dealers in West Virginia are ready to host for players of any taste and pocket depth.
- Online sportsbook. From now on, you can follow sports events and place bets from the comfort of your home using an exclusive iPhone or Android app.
- Greyhound racing. Live greyhound races take place from Wednesday to Sunday at 7:00 pm. Simulcast racing is available as well.
Wheeling Island Hotel
From the times of the Civil War to the present day, Wheeling Island Hotel-Casino-Racetrack has always been the most-wanted tourist attraction in West Virginia. The casino was originally created as a racetrack for thoroughbred racing in 1866 and has grown into a huge gambling center with a 515-room hotel, a vast parking space for 2,800 automobiles, and thousands of gaming and betting options.
- Slots. The hottest titles are Quick Hit Blitz, Treasure Ball, and Heidi & Hannah’s Bier Haus, but you are free to try any game you like, including 47 high-limit machines. For your comfort, the gaming floor is divided into smoking and non-smoking zones.
- Table games. Veteran or rookie, it doesn’t matter – just grab your seat at a blackjack, craps, roulette, or poker table and enjoy the game. Experienced dealers will help you out every time you need it.
- Sports betting. An array of sports at Wheeling Island Hotel includes basketball, football, boxing, MMA, golf, and auto racing.
- Greyhound racing. Whether you love simulcast or live racing, you can be a part of the best races at Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack. Live greyhound races take place from Wednesday to Sunday; simulcast racing is available daily.
Top 3 Online Casinos for West Virginia Players
Although legal online gambling in West Virginia is only possible on the websites run by the brick-and-mortar casinos, thousands of local gamblers prefer offshore casinos for their broader choice of games. Truth be told, the risks are minimal, whereas the proceeds are grandeur.
- Cherry Jackpot. Love when bonuses come in series? Then you must be interested in a whopping 200% welcome bonus on your first ten deposits at Cherry Jackpot. The casino offers a sweet selection of slots, table games, and progressive titles, as well as special treats for regulars – comp points, free chip bonuses, and cashback. Promotions never stop at Cherry Jackpot.
- Slots Empire. Taking gambling to grandeur, unreachable heights, Slots Empire shows to us what it means to be truly unique in the gaming market. You start your journey by grabbing a 220% sign-up bonus and then you explore the casino insides to reveal two more bonuses. The casino employs everything you want, from unsophisticated 3-reel slots to video poker and exclusive games. Neosurf deposits are instant; BTC deposits take up to 15 min to appear in your account.
- Desert Nights. All the three pillars of successful gambling – rich bonuses, safe banking methods, and versatility of games – are taken care of at Desert Nights, a high-end casino with plenty of features for newcomers and regulars topped by the $10 free sign-up bonus. The game range includes classic slots, advanced slots, table games, video poker, jackpot games, and a few exotic titles. To get a head start with your gambling at Deserts Night, consider claiming a 250% welcome bonus, which can add up to $2,250 to your balance.
Scroll up the page to see the full list of international casinos that you can play from West Virginia.
West Virginia Casino FAQ
- 📌 Are Online Casinos in West Virginia Safe to Play?
- Although it’s illegal to play at offshore casinos from West Virginia, all the casinos you can find on our website are safe. These are top-notch venues verified by our gambling experts.
- 📌 Who Regulates Online Gambling in West Virginia?
- Gambling in West Virginia is regulated by the West Virginia Lottery.
Answering the question, can you gamble online in West Virginia,’ we can say that it depends on where you play. The websites belonging to the five authorized casinos are legal, whereas offshore casinos are not. However, no precedents of penalties for playing online have ever been registered in West Virginia.
- 📌 What is the Gambling Age in West Virginia?
- 18 or 21 is the legal gambling age in West Virginia, depending on the casino and the game you play.
- 📌 Do I Need to Pay Taxes on Winnings?
- All winnings are subject to income taxes. Each prize exceeding $5,000 is charged with a federal tax of 24% and a state tax of 6.5%.
- 📌 What are the Recommended Payment Methods?
- Considering the fact that offshore casinos are illegal to play from West Virginia, we would recommend you to use anonymous/private payment methods (vouchers, cryptocurrencies) as an additional precautionary measure.