Online Casinos in Virginia
When it comes to gambling, Virginia is a state of contrasts. On the one hand, the unyielding ethos of the state has been preserving its traditionalism for decades, preventing casino games from penetrating into the state culture. On the other hand, the big changes are already on the horizon – the recent legalization of sports betting and casino games, as well as the plans on building the first full-fledged tribal casino in the state, will soon change the gambling landscape of Virginia once and for all.
But – lyrical digressions aside – what we have now, de facto, is an unshaped industry playing by quite murky rules. Nevertheless, there’s something you will be happy to know as a gambler: online gambling is not forbidden in Virginia, which means, in addition to the fully legalized state lottery and off-track betting, you can indulge in classic casino games at any offshore casino you want.
Bearing no compromises with the quality of casinos, we’ve united the top-notch offshore casinos catering to players from Virginia in a shortlist you can see just below. Skim through the best offers in the gambling market and pick the online casino in Virginia you are comfortable with.
Top Online Casinos in Virginia for 2022
Online Gambling in Virginia: Facts, Laws, and Help
With a population of about 8.5 million people and a high level of median household income, Virginia could be much more successful in gambling than it actually is. The conservative state embraces its anti-gambling traditions and very reluctantly agrees on any changes concerning the liberalization of gambling policy.
However, even though there are no brick-and-mortar casinos in Virginia right now, the residents of the state can hope for a better future: first of all, online gambling is not prohibited, which leaves you leeway to interpret the actual laws as you wish; secondly, the only federally recognized tribe, the Pamunkey Tribe, is going to build two casinos in Virginia.
Laws Affecting Online Gambling in Virginia
Traditionally frowned upon gambling, Virginia allows very few types of gambling – the state lottery, the multi-state lotteries, and off-track betting in five off-track betting parlors spread across the state. The only racetrack (Colonial Downs), however, was closed and turned into a golf course not so long ago.
The good news is, though, that there are no clear rules on online gambling in Virginia. In fact, Chapter 8, Article 1 of the Code of Virginia, which is the only document on gambling in the Old Dominion, does not even mention online gambling. Therefore, since neither Virginia online gambling laws nor the prohibition on playing gambling games online exist, it’s only logical to assume that the question, ‘is online gambling legal in Virginia,’ can only be answered positively.
Along with that, you are acting in the unregulated field and hence have to be very careful in the choices you make. Not to lay an egg when selecting your offshore casino, we would recommend you to use our ready-made list of venues accepting players from Virginia. All the listed casinos are trustworthy, and most of them accept BTC and other anonymous banking methods. And don’t neglect using a reliable VPN network as an additional precautionary measure.
Sports Betting in Virginia
The long-anticipated changes with sports betting have finally happened! In March 2020, the state Assembly and Senate both approved the HB NO. 896 and SB NO. 384 bills to allow sports betting AND CASINOS in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Virginia Lottery was chosen to oversee sports betting and streamline the industry as a whole with the first task of developing regulations for land-based casino operators and sportsbooks.
However, as practice shows, such changes do not happen overnight. Chances are a few years will pass until the first full-fledged casinos and sportsbooks pop up in Virginia (as being said, the Pamunkey Tribe has already announced its plans on building two full-scale tribal casinos in Richmond and Norfolk). Meanwhile, the only way to support your favorite team or athlete with wagers is by dealing with international sportsbooks. Note that online sports betting is not prohibited in Virginia, and therefore, you can feel safe with any of the offshore sportsbooks represented on our website.
Interesting Facts about Online Gambling in Virginia
Still being one of the few U.S. states with no casino gambling options to offer, Virginia is on the border of great changes. Let’s recap what’s going on in the Old Dominion.
Online and offline casino games and sports betting are to be streamlined in the following years by the Virginia Lottery. There’s no particular deadline yet, though sports betting has been allowed since 1 June 2020.
The Pamunkey Indians have announced their plans to build brick-and-mortar casinos in Norfolk and Richmond. However, it will likely take several years to overcome the hurdles at the Bureau of Indian Affairs and obtain a Class III compact required to open a casino under the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act.
Except for the state lottery and the off-track betting parlors, Virginia online gambling is yet to come. That said, there are already dozens of offshore casinos where you can play with zero risks.
Getting Help for Problem Gambling in Virginia
The Virginia Council on Problem Gambling and the National Council on Problem Gambling are sponsored by the Virginia Lottery to increase awareness of problem gambling through providing information, distributing materials, and meeting with legislators on behalf of problem gamblers and their families.
Besides, there are nationwide resources you can reach for help:
- National Problem Gambling Helpline, 1-800-522-4700, chat: ncpgambling.org/chat.
- Gamblers Anonymous, an experience-sharing fellowship fighting gambling addiction and gambling-related problems.
- Gam-Anon, a self-help organization for compulsive gamblers.
- GamTalk, an online support forum.
The best help is, though, your consciousness in the USA online gambling market, as well as your awareness of the possible unfavorable consequences of excessive gambling.
Top 3 Online Casinos for Virginia Players
Until online gambling in Virginia is legalized and streamlined, which may take a while, the only chance to play your favorite slots and games is to play at offshore casinos. Fortunately, there are at least a few dozen high-quality casinos catering to players from the Old Dominion.
But which one is the best? That’s one tough question, so we would recommend you to scroll up the page to explore the full range of options. However, if you want to play here and now, feel free to sign up for one of our favorites – Slotocash, Slots of Vegas, or Miami Club – right away.
- Slotocash. Simple in design and features, Slotocash is a crypto-friendly casino (bitcoin and litecoin accepted) with 13 years of experience offering you the best games by RTG along with mind-boggling perks topped with a ludicrously generous welcome bonus of up to $7,777. To claim the welcome treat, use the promo codes SLOTO1MATCH, SLOTO2MATCH, SLOTO3MATCH, SLOTO4MATCH, and SLOTO5MATCH. Sloto Magazine, Sloto Life, Sloto World…there are so many sides to this unexplored casino – examine the unconquered expanses to be first to benefit from the ever-appearing treats.
- Slots of Vegas. One more RTG-driven casino, Slots of Vegas is a GLI-certified gambling platform that rewards newcomers with a 250% welcome bonus and 300 free spins on slots, as well as runs a series of tempting promotions along with a VIP program for those willing to maximize their experience with the casino. One of the greatest things about Slots of Vegas is that you can play for free even without registration – just pick the game you like and keep practicing until you are ready for the real-money battles!
- Miami Club. The blistering beaches of Miami await you, but don’t rush to pack your baggage – you can enjoy the best of it from the comfort of your home after signing up for Miami Club, a lucrative casino with an outstanding 100% welcome bonus of up to $800 and a series of regular perks. Banking-wise, the casino supports BTC, BCH, LTC, and Paysafecard vouchers, all options being comfortable for players from Virginia.
Virginia Casino FAQ
- 📌 Are Online Casinos in Virginia Safe to Play?
- Online gambling is not regulated in Virginia, which is why all casinos that you can reach from the Old Dominion are offshore. However, since we select only the best casinos, all the options on our website are safe and secure.
- 📌 Who Regulates Online Gambling in Virginia?
- Although gambling in brick-and-mortar casinos is regulated by Chapter 8, Article 1 of the Code of Virginia, online gambling is not mentioned at all in the document. Therefore, answering the popular question ‘can you gamble online in Virginia,’ we can say that you are free to interpret the current provisions the way you see them.
- 📌 What is the Gambling Age in Virginia?
- The minimum gambling age in Virginia is 18.
- 📌 Do I Need to Pay Taxes on Winnings?
- All lottery winnings exceeding $5,000 are charged with the Virginia Income Tax of 4%. The taxation rates for casino games and sports betting are yet to be determined.
- 📌 What are the Recommended Payment Methods?
- Unless you are playing the Virginia Lottery or any other officially legalized game, it would be wise to choose anonymous/private payment methods that would protect & safeguard you against possible penalties. The recommended payment methods are scratch cards (Paysafecard, Neteller) and cryptocurrencies (bitcoin, ethereum, litecoin, bitcoin cash, and any other crypto).