Iceland Casinos Online
There are several things missing in the beautiful country of Iceland — the sun, the warm summer and the casinos. The Icelandic government doesn’t treat the offline and online gambling in Iceland very well and you will not find a legal Icelander online casino anywhere.
The good news is that the international online casino websites are not as cold as Iceland and there are enough of the best online casinos for Iceland players that will be happy to accept your bets. If you want to know where to find that best online casino in Iceland, why didn’t the country allow Iceland casino sites and how to play in an online casino in Iceland for real money — just keep reading. The SlotsUp team has prepared the complete list of the Icelandic online casinos together with the casino reviews and special offers so that you can get the most from gambling in any online casino in Iceland.
Best Online Casino accepting players from Iceland
Online Casino Sites in Iceland
As the country doesn’t have the licensing procedure for the Iceland friendly online casinos and considers the online gambling to be illegal in general, the responsibility for finding the best Icelander casino online falls on the player’s shoulder. Even though there are literally hundreds of online casinos on the market today, it’s not so easy to find the perfect Icelander casino online that will satisfy all your needs and will be reliable at the same time. So how do you find the Iceland best online casino?
- You can read the topic-related forums and social media groups. Frequent gamblers are often willing to share their impressions about this or that Iceland casino online so you can read which casino is good, which one doesn’t look reliable and where the new games are going to be released soon. Searching for the top Icelander online casinos will take you a lot of time but you’ll be able to process a lot of reviews and make your own impression before betting on the Iceland casino games online on one of the websites.
- Ask your friends for advice. There is nothing better than the real experience of your own friends that have already tried some of the top rated online casinos in Iceland. But this way only works if you have friends that like gambling and if you and they have the similar taste for Icelander casinos online.
- Rely on us! The fastest and the most convenient way to find the best online casino for Icelanders is to pick one of the SlotsUp list of the top 10 Iceland online casinos. You can keep calm and rely on the SlotsUp experienced team as we don’t just take random Iceland accepted online casinos and put them on this page. Every ISK online casino from the list gets thoroughly checked and verified to select only the best titles and present them to our readers with the detailed reviews. It doesn’t matter what exactly online casino in Iceland from the list you choose as all Iceland online casinos on this page are safe and approved.
We care a lot about the quality of the internet casinos in Iceland we put on the list so we always have them checked considering these points:
- Legal license. To operate on any market legally, the casino should get checked by one of the international gambling commissions and apply for the relevant gambling license. The top 10 online casinos Iceland from our list are all properly checked and licensed and you can always double-check this information on the casino’s website. We strongly urge you not to play in the casinos without the valid licenses as it may lead to unexpected results.
- Games choice. The casinos from the SlotsUp list have the largest choice of the online casino games in Iceland. Here you’ll be able to choose from the hundreds of online slots Iceland, card games like blackjack or video poker, roulette, scratch cards and so on. The games vary from the simple ones with the minimum bets to the state-of-the-art fresh releases for high-rollers.
- Casinos choice. We try to make our list of the best Iceland casinos online as diverse as possible. We are constantly adding the new Iceland online casinos for you to try something new and to stick to just one best paying online casino in Iceland. Besides the regular online casinos, on the list, you’ll find the live dealer casinos as well as the Icelander mobile casinos for those who prefer to play online casino Iceland on their mobile devices.
- Payment options. Every best casino online in Iceland from our list allows depositing and betting in different currencies so you can place your bets both in Icelandic krona, the US dollar, euro etc. Some of the new casinos even accept payments in bitcoin. Several banking options are also available for players — you can deposit or withdraw your money from the Icelandic casino using a credit/debit card, PayPal, etc.
In the list, you’ll find the Iceland’s best online casinos like the All Slots casino, Royal Vegas casino, 888 casino and many other. Before making the real money bets in them, you can also try the Icelander free slots and other casino games for fun on SlotsUp.
Online Gambling Laws and Regulations in Iceland
The Icelander online gambling laws are not very favorable to the potential players but it doesn’t mean there is no way to play gambling games in the reputable online casinos in Iceland and outside the country. To clear things out, we are answering the frequently asked questions concerning the Iceland online gambling in general and the online gambling law in Iceland in particular. Knowing the online gambling Iceland legislation will allow you play in the Icelander online casinos safely and legally.
Is land-based gambling legal in Iceland?
According to the country’s laws, land-based gambling is illegal and you’ll hardly find a full-fledged ISK casino in Reykjavik or anywhere else in Iceland. The only exception is holding the gambling activities for charity or philanthropic reasons which is allowed in some places. Due to this exception, we can see some slots machines and small gambling halls in some places yet there are not a lot of them and they are only operating for charity.
Is online gambling allowed in Iceland?
According to the online gambling laws in Iceland, online gambling is also forbidden and is considered to be illegal. The country doesn’t legally accept the international legitimate online casinos for Iceland players and there is no way to get the online gambling license in Iceland.
Nevertheless, it doesn’t mean that the online gambling industry in Iceland doesn’t exist. Despite the fact that the online gambling authority Iceland demands the online gambling Iceland not to be legal, there are still a lot of the legal online casinos outside Iceland that are taking bets from the Icelandic players. Moreover, the players are not prosecuted in any way for playing in the best online gambling sites outside Iceland so you can place your bets wherever you want safely.
As gambling online in Iceland is not regulated and no licenses are being issued, it’s harder to find the safe online casino in Iceland. To take part in the safe online gambling Iceland only, we recommend playing the online casino for real money Iceland in one of the casinos from the SlotsUp list.
What is the online gambling age in Iceland?
The online gambling age is not clearly stated in the law as playing in the online casino Iceland is not legal, but most of the international online casinos accept bets from players who are 18 or older. This information should be double-checked on the casino’s website as in some of them you can only make the real money bets since 21 y.o.
History of Gambling in Iceland
The Icelander gambling market has never been too friendly to the players yet there were some important events in its history too, that later led to the ban of the land-based ISK casinos as well as the Iceland based online casinos.
In 1926, the Lotteries Act was approved. It was the first gambling legislation to be approved in the country (in the times when most of the countries still had their gambling markets unregulated). The Lotteries and Tombola’s Act, as it was originally called, proclaimed all the gambling activities in the country to be illegal.
In 1993, the University of Iceland decided to create its own lottery. To make it possible, the Lotteries Act was amended to allow some of the gambling activities upon condition that at least 80% of profits received from the lottery would be used for the University’s needs. Since then, gambling in Iceland can be allowed if it serves for charity purposes.
In 1972, the first sports lottery was founded in Iceland. The Lottery Act got a little bit relaxed once again to allow more lotteries and 1986 brought the first state general lottery that still exists. The loophole in the law allows this state lottery to run some online sports betting activities and bingo games in the internet casino.
In 1994, Iceland legalized the land-based slot machines provided all the profits from them are given to the charity organizations. As these slot machines are basically the only gambling activity allowed (besides the international online casinos accepting Iceland players), they are rather popular among the locals.
Today in 2017, the Iceland Criminal Code approved in 1940 and amended many times states clear that all the gambling activities in the country are illegal and punishable by law. It’s not allowed to run the Iceland approved online casinos and take part in the gambling activities other than mentioned above. The Code says nothing about betting in the top online casinos for Icelander players located overseas though so you can (almost) legally make your bets in the best online casinos for Icelanders from the SlotsUp list without any fear to get caught and prosecuted.
Predictions About the Future of Online Gambling in Iceland
The Iceland’s attitude towards the online gambling is very similar to the one of other European countries. There are no legal and approved Iceland online casino sites and the country is not going to issue any licenses to the new online casinos for Iceland players, but most of the best online casinos for Icelander players located abroad are easily acceptable and the players are not prosecuted (unlike those who risk running the online casino ISK in the country). Therefore, we can consider the Icelandic online gambling market to be quite favorable to the players yet pay the special attention while choosing the online or mobile casino in Iceland to make the real money bets.
As there are no negotiations about turning the Icelandic online gambling market into a legal and regulated one, there is no hope that the Iceland online casinos 2017 will become legal in the nearest future. To keep yourself safe from any frauds possible in the unlicensed online casinos, make your bets in one of the top 10 Icelander online casinos available on SlotsUP. We are regularly updating the list with the new Iceland online casino reviews and the most lucrative casino offers for your convenience and the increased winnings. We support mobile gambling and you can play the best mobile slots in Iceland anytime you open this page from your mobile phone or tablet.
If you are not ready to take a risk now and prefer playing the casino games for fun, please check our largest selection of the free online casino games of all kinds created by the world’s best online casino games providers.