Online Casinos in Iowa
Extremely friendly to land-based games – all imaginable games of chance and skill are allowed in brick-and-mortar casinos – Iowa prohibits online gambling except for sports betting, horse racing, simulcast wagering, daily fantasy sports, and charitable gaming (raffles, social gambling, bingo, and amusement devices).
However, there’s still a chance to indulge in carefree gambling from the comfort of your home. How could that be possible – you may ask – considering that online slots, table games, and poker are prohibited? Well, the secret lies on the surface: the ban takes place only on paper, while thousands of gamblers from Iowa are playing on their favorite international websites without restrictions, and no one has ever been punished, prosecuted, or banned.
Online gambling in Iowa is always a choice between legal casinos with a limited number of options and their unauthorized international counterparts with the full range of games. Which type of online casino in Iowa appeals to you is up to you – just skim through our list of the best online platforms available from Iowa and pick the one that you would love to spend time with.
Top Online Casinos in Iowa for 2022
Online Gambling in Iowa: Facts, Laws, and Help
With 24 licensed casinos, more than 15,000 slot machines, and almost 500 table games, Iowa is one of the most gambling-friendly states, but only when it comes to offline games of chances. Iowa Code 99, Iowa Code 725.5, and SF671 allow all forms of land-based gambling without exception, whereas online gambling is represented only by sports betting, horse racing, simulcast wagering, daily fantasy sports, and charitable gaming…Not the list you would expect to see, but the good news, though, is that you can use any offshore casino – there are dozens of reputable ones – to access games prohibited by the laws of the state.
Laws Affecting Online Gambling in Iowa
According to the report from the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission, the Hawkeye state extracted about $1.5 billion of revenues from gambling in 2018 – the best figure for the recent five-year period – and the profits continue to increase along with the number of land-based casinos.
Unfortunately, that success has little to do with online gambling, which is represented only by sports betting, horse racing, simulcast wagering, daily fantasy sports, and charitable gaming. Online games are becoming more and more popular in the state, but much of what locals would love to play online – slot machines, online poker, table games, etc. – is explicitly prohibited by the mentioned laws and statutes (Iowa Code 99, Iowa Code 725.5, and SF671).
Therefore, addressing the question ‘is online gambling legal in Iowa,’ we can only assume that, if playing at unauthorized online casinos, you are playing at your own risk. On the one hand, there were no precedents of prosecution for gambling at offshore casinos; on the other hand, there are explicit Iowa online gambling laws that you should abide by as an Iowa citizen.
Sports Betting in Iowa
To the admiration of local bettors, sports betting became the latest addition to the list of legal gambling opportunities in the state, both offline and online. The legalization process ended at the end of 2019 and there are already plenty of sportsbooks operating in Iowa, including but not limited to William Hill, Elite Sportsbook, and DraftKings Sportsbook.
According to the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission, to place wagers online, you must first create an account with the respective land-based sports betting representative. To create an account, you have to provide your proof of identity and age. The registration is a one-time event that is relevant up to January 1, 2021, after which online registration will become available.
Among other important sports betting provisions are a $75,000 license fee and a 6.75% tax rate on the revenue of sports betting operators, as well as the limitation of mobile betting to instate betting.
Interesting Facts about Online Gambling in Iowa
Given the existing gaming bureaucracy in Iowa and nationwide, the legalization of online sports betting is seen as a huge leap forward in the development of online gambling in the state. At the same time, it’s hard to say much about the overall tendency in online gambling in Iowa since there are lots of problems to solve in the first place.
Local gamblers would love to see slot machines, table games, and online poker legalized – just to name a few of the most in-demand games – however, the inability to establish a clean stream of revenue from online games and the struggle to come to an agreement with the Indian tribes prevent Iowa from unrolling the favorable online gambling legislation. So let’s just face it: it’s impossible to predict whether the local authorities will become interested in bringing the offline world online. Meanwhile, though, Iowa online gambling laws explicitly forbid all online games except for sports betting, horse racing, simulcast wagering, daily fantasy sports, and charitable gaming represented by raffles, social gambling, bingo, and amusement devices, leaving locals with no choice but to play at offshore online casinos.
Getting Help for Problem Gambling in Iowa
Iowa runs a special Gambling Treatment Program available by phone or through a secure chat or video. You can get help by calling 1-800-BETS OFF, or by texting (855) 895-8398. Also, the program provides assistance to the family members of problem gamblers.
In addition to the Iowa Gambling Treatment Program, there are a number of nationwide resources that you can reach for help:
- National Problem Gambling Helpline, 1-800-522-4700, chat: ncpgambling.org/chat.
- Gamblers Anonymous, an experience-sharing fellowship fighting gambling addiction and gambling-related problems.
- Gam-Anon, a self-help organization for compulsive gamblers.
- GamTalk, an online support forum.
- The fact sheet on problem gambling in Iowa.
The best help is, though, your consciousness when playing at USA online casinos, as well as your awareness of the possible repercussions of excessive gambling.
Land-Based Gambling Regulations in Iowa
While online gambling in Iowa is quite limited, its land-based counterpart is thriving. Every imaginable game is allowed in brick-and-mortar casinos, so it all boils down to selecting the best gambling hub from 24 casinos scattered around the state.
Wonder which one to choose? Depending on our location, you would want to pay a visit to Hard Rock Casino Sioux City, Riverside Casino & Golf Resort, or Harrah’s Council Bluffs Casino & Hotel, the three state-of-the-art gambling giants with all the bells and whistles you could dream of.
Hard Rock Casino Sioux City
The award-winning 45,000-square-foot casino located in Sioux City is the gambling destination number one for anyone craving diverse, cheerful, and – may luck be with you – profitable gambling within the borders of Iowa. The casino unites everything that you cannot find in the legal field of online gambling and then some! More than 850 slot machines, 26 table games, classy hotel rooms, Rock Shop, two live entertainment venues, six restaurants and bars, and tons of other amenities will add vivid colors to your long-awaited getaway.
Whether you want to focus on gambling or feel the vibe of nightlife, Hard Rock Casino Sioux City has it all! Unforgettable live shows, mouth-watering dishes catered by gracious waiters, Body Rock fitness center urging you to keep fit, and much more other pleasant stuff is waiting for you at Hard Rock Casino Sioux City. On top of that, all newly signed members have a chance to win $500 cash as well as partake in other promotions and perks (for example, daily benefits for veterans & first responders), whereas longtimers can take advantage of VIP packages including exclusive vacation offers and the hottest hotel deals.
Riverside Casino & Golf Resort
Love numbers? Then what about visiting a place that paid more than $7,000,000 in jackpots in 2019? Yes, we are talking about Riverside Casino & Golf Resort, a jaw-dropping casino destination of more than 50,000 square feet of gambling floor and thousands of slots and games.
- Slots. Among the latest additions are Joe Blow Diamonds, In The Money, Hexbreaker 3, Wheel of Prosperity Dragon, Wonder 4 Boots, and a few dozen other slots including progressive titles – Sahara Gold, High-Stakes, Best Bet, Fu Nan Fu Nu, and Crystal Star Deluxe – with jackpots up to $50,000 and more!
- Table games. Poker, baccarat, roulette, craps, blackjack, as well as numerous variations of these games, are played round-the-clock at Riverside Casino & Golf Resort. The most recent addition is a separate poker room that features 10 tables of interactive poker excitement.
- Sports betting. MMA, auto racing, soccer, baseball, golf, table tennis, Australia football, tennis, NBA, NHL, NCAA football, NCAA men’s basketball, and pro football lines & pro football futures are the betting options at the casino. And guess what? Once you register with the casino, you can make bets online.
Riverside Casino & Golf Resort is much more than a typical Midwest gambling hub. Pay a visit there, and you’ll find out why!
Harrah’s Council Bluffs Casino & Hotel
Comfortably resting on the banks of Missouri River in Council Bluffs, the eponymous casino & hotel encompasses three restaurants, two bars, a gift shop, a golf course, and 251 rooms in addition to the 25,000-square-foot gambling floor. One of the most known brick-and-mortar casinos in Iowa, Harrah’s Council Bluffs Casino & Hotel has made a long way from opening in 1996 and to the pinnacle of land-based gambling.
The casino incorporates over 500 slot machines – from the copies of the good old one-armed bandits to high-tech video slots – as well as a few dozen table games representing blackjack, craps, high card flush, Cajun stud, emperor’s challenge, roulette, and three-card poker. Wide betting limits, friendly dealers, all imaginable variations of your beloved games…now you are all set to grab the dice and get the ball rolling!
And when you get tired of gambling, take a rest and have a good meal at 360 Steakhouse, Stir Cove Backstage Grill, or Fresh Market Square Buffet, the three diners abundant with exquisite mouth-watering dishes and special courses. And don’t forget about live shows – ranked among the top-100 amphitheaters in the world, Stir Concert Cove is a place of amazing performances.
Top 3 Online Casinos for Iowa Players
Even though online gambling in Iowa is restricted to a limited set of legalized games, most locals circumvent the barriers by playing at offshore casinos. And hardly can we blame them for that – after all, there are no authorized casinos in Iowa that would enable slots or table games.
Below are three top-notch offshore casinos to play from Iowa (more casinos are at the top of the webpage).
- Uptown Pokies. Simple in layout and generous in rewards, Uptown Pokies is focused on slots powered by Real Time Gaming (RTG) and provides a luxurious 225% match bonus to new players along with plenty of game-based bonuses for regulars. From 3-reel to high-tech slots, from classic pokies to progressive games, Uptown Pokies is home to all the variety of RTG titles. Thematic slots included as well. Whether you hunt for millions in Caribbean Stud Poker or collect cherries-bells-sevens at, say, 777, the excitement & thrill of gambling never leaves you at friendly and unobtrusive Uptown Pokies Casino.
- Roaring 21. Hardly a sophisticated gambler can be impressed with a variety of games and slots in your casino, but you can flabbergast him with a staggering choice of promotion and perks at your casino. Well, at least Roaring 21 Casino believes so, providing a yet unseen package of 12 bonuses. So why don’t you come and grab that hefty welcome package? With Roaring 21, bonus hunting is no longer a pipe dream!
- Cherry Jackpot. With the jackpot of more than nine million dollars, Cherry Jackpot might seem to be an exclusive place for high-rollers, but that’s not true: the casino embraces both newcomers and regular players, providing each category of players with worthwhile bonuses. 300% bitcoin special, 200% welcome offer, 200% deposit special are just three of 11 perks offered here. As for the range of game, the venue encompasses all types of slots machines (3-reel, 5-reel, 6-reel, slots with bonus rounds), table games (baccarat, blackjack, poker, roulette, craps), and special games (keno, bingo, Fish Catch, Treasure Tree, Banana Jones), including progressive titles. Shallow-pocketed or deep-pocketed, Cherry Jackpot suits every budget and style.
Iowa Casino FAQ
- 📌 Are Online Casinos in Iowa Safe to Play?
- Online casinos are not authorized to provide games to local players with the exception of sports betting, horse racing, simulcast wagering, daily fantasy sports, and charitable gaming (raffles, social gambling, bingo, and amusement devices). Nevertheless, international casinos are safe: no players have been ever banned for dealing with offshore gambling websites.
The list of premium online casinos reachable from Iowa is available at the top of the page.
- 📌 Who Regulates Online Gambling in Iowa?
- Online gambling in Iowa is regulated by Iowa Code 99, Iowa Code 725.5, and SF671. These documents contain the list of allowed and banned online games. Therefore, answering the question ‘can you gamble online in Iowa,’ we can say that it depends on the game you are going to play (however, even illegal games are played by locals on offshore websites).
- 📌 What is the Gambling Age in Iowa?
- 21 is the minimum gambling age in Iowa.
- 📌 Do I Need to Pay Taxes on Winnings?
- The federal tax rate is 24%; the in-state tax rate is 5%.
- 📌 What are the Recommended Payment Methods?
- There are no specific payment methods that could be recommended to players from Iowa other than that used in other U.S. states. The most popular payment methods in Iowa are Visa/MasterCard debit and credit cards, e-wallets (Neteller, Skrill), Interact, and cryptocurrencies (BTC).